UMMMMMM. So this is one of the most tasty things to have ever touched my tongue.
I’ve had vegan pulled pork burgers a couple of times now while eating out, so I decided it was time to make it at home.
The key ingredient in this recipe is Jack Fruit. Though not grown here in NZ, you can find it canned in your local whole food store. If you are in the Palmerston North area I recommend Davis trading, at only $2 a can, it’s a super cheap and tasty meal!
This recipe makes enough for about 6-8 burgers depending on how much of the mixture you add to each bun.
2 Tins of jackfruit
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Drain the two tins of jackfruit and cut out the core.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients and combine with the jackfruit.
- Add the seasoned jackfruit mixture to a pan and cook for a few minutes before adding the BBQ sauce and liquid smoke.
- Once all ingredients have been added, let the mixture simmer for at least 20 mins, longer if you want the flavour to develop more.
- Serve on a fresh bun with plenty of salad, and avocado! I used watercress, red onion and avo on a ciabatta bun and it was amazing!
The texture of jackfruit is so similar to pulled pork it’s insane, so this would be a good one to serve up to your unsuspecting meat eating friends!
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag me on instagram @brooklyngreenfield as I would love to see your re-creations, and flick me a message while you are at it for any recipe suggestions you’d like to see on my blog.
Happy meat free Monday everyone, I hope you have an amazing week!