It’s been a while..
Birthdays always call for cake. And my other half turned 23, so of course I used this as an excuse to do some vegan baking, even had my own assistant to make it (thanks Ellen!)
This is one of the richest chocolate mud cakes i’ve ever had. If the fact that this cake is rich, gooey and harming no animals, isn’t enough to convince you to make it, then hopefully the fact that it tastes like Nutella, is. A++
2 Flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxmeal + 1/4 cup water)
1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup of ground up hazelnuts
1/4 cup oat flour
1 1/4 cup flour
1 block of vegan chocolate (whittakers 50% and over are all vegan, YAY!)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 20cm diameter tin with baking paper.
- Mix the vinegar and almond milk together to curdle.
- Make you flax eggs and set aside.
- Add baking soda to the almond milk mixture.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut sugar and almond mixture to the flax eggs. Beat to combine.
- Add applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla to the mixture and combine.
- Add the rest of the batter ingredients to the bowl and mix till combined. It should be thick but pourable, if you need to add a splash or two of almond milk, do it.
- Pour the mixture into your pre lined tin and put into the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Mix the hazelnuts and coconut sugar for the topping together and transfer onto a lined baking tray to roast while the cake is cooking. (about 10 minutes)
- For the frosting melt the chocolate and almond milk together and add coconut oil.
- When the cake is cooked, take it out of tin after having let rest for 10 minutes or so and transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Ice, and decorate with hazelnuts!
This recipe is truely so so good, i mean, who doesn’t like Nutella? If you don’t.. get on the bandwagon.. not the one with dairy and palm oil though, the vegan bandwagon kind, recipe coming soon!
Let me know if you try it and tag me on instagram if you share it! Would love to hear any feedback!
Hope everyone has a Happy Easter, I’ll be in Christchurch (in the rain)! Hope you enjoy this recipe 🙂
Oh, I made a youtube channel , so check it out and subscribe if you are keen to see more content! I will be trying to upload at least once a week and will hopefully have some exciting vlogs coming up in America!!!!